Special Guidance for Screening Test in SSB-Essentials to Successfully Clear the Screening Test
This article is written by Col DJS Chahal IntroductionScreening Test comprises of three major activities, namely, OIR(Officers’ Intelligence Rating) Test, PPDT(Picture Perception & Description Test) and the PPDT Group Discussion. The OIR Test entails verbal and non-verbal reasoning ability questions. The more you practice OIR Tests the better you will become. So long as you can procure more than 60% in this test you will be safe.Be formally dressed and reach the PPDT Testing Hall well in advance to relax your nerves and be mentally prepared to think positive.
Performance in the PPDT assumes a great importance in clearing the Screening Test. I shall give some tips that you must keep in mind while going through this test.
Essentials for clearing screening test in SSB
PPDT Story Writing
- Fill up details about the characters that you have perceived in the box as directed by the Psych during his briefing.
- Look at the background of the hazy picture projected. The same would decide the setting of your story, i.e. rural, urban, market place, stadium, etc.
- Now look at the foreground and see how many characters do you see in the picture.
- Identify the main character and give him/her a name, you would invariably identify the main character closest to your own age group.
- Write the Center Heading of you story, which will represent the action that you have perceived in the picture.
- The story that you write must give out the following: What led to the scene that you have perceived, What is presently going on in the scene and what would be a logical outcome of the scene that you have perceived.
- Remember the characteristics portrayed by the main character are a refection of your personality attributes. Also, the theme of the story will represent your mental make up, i.e. constructive/destructive, optimist/pessimist, etc.
- Hence, write a positive, constructive, realistic and a story that depicts a mature mind who is very well informed. You could make a story on some current themes, e.g. Crime against women, ragging, infrastructure development, water conservation, communal harmony, etc.
- You could show your awareness level by giving more of the actions done by the main character to achieve the goals that he set for himself.
- Since, you only get 4 mins to write your story it must be concise and to the point.
PPDT Group Discussion
- Most important part of this phase, is the individual narration of your story. Make sure that you are able to give out your story confidently, clearly and within one minute. Do rehearse it many times before you are called in for the discussion.
- Listen to everyone’s story very intently and identify the common thread emerging in their stories.
- Do not promote your own story, but, go on to support the common theme of the story.
- Do not contribute with low level inputs like, how many characters, what were their ages, etc, but give quality contribution that shows your general awareness.
- Act as a moderator in the discussion by assisting the group to come to a common theme.
- Encourage everyone to participate and be sensitive to other people’s views. You should be seen as a very polite, decent and pleasant person.
- Once a common theme has been selected by the group, participate with quality points that shows your high caliber and knowledge.
- Do not loose your composure, do not get aggressive, and tactfully deal with some candidates who are group disruptive and rude.
- Do not speak too long at one time, but, at the same time make sure that you are positively visible through out the discussion.
Finally, what matters the most in the PPDT, and for the final selection during the Screening Test, is the contents of your story, which should be closely connected to the present day socio-economic and geo-political environment, confident narration of your story and smart participation during the discussion. Remember you are in a show window and you are trying to sell yourself, so do everything that would impress the Group and the assessors.
I’m Deepak Tomar. I have completed my M.Tech in Computer Science and now i am working as a Govt. Employee in UP Police, I Love to help others and making friends, you can connect to me on facebook for any help- I will be happy to help you .